Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

COACHING CHANGES IN DENVER

While many fans are calling for the fire of Josh McDaniels just as many it seems are supporting the first year head coach. When coach Shanahan was fired I was surprised and upset I wondered who out there available to be Head Coach would be an improvement? I still am not sure if we have improved at the Head Coach position; but I'm a Bronco fan and I understand that McDaniels is likely here for two more years. Part of the reason I feel this way is because I resit change in almost everything. While I have never met coach Shanahan I feel as if he was an old friend one who has brought two Super Bowls to Denver. I always new what I was getting no real surprises. I could count on having one of the best running games in the league, a Defense that showed promise at times but never really got the job done and an offense that could move the ball between the twenties as good as any.

Now Shanahan is in Washington and wanted to interview Bobby Turner, probably the the best running backs coach in the NFL. The Broncos said no which is there right as Turner is under contract and I would like to see him stay in Denver.

The Texans asked to interview Rick Denison the O line coach who learned the Zone Blocking Technique from the great Alex Gibbs. Denison is most likely being interviewed for the Offensive Coordinator job and is all but a lock to get it. I think this is a sign that the Broncos are going away from the zone blocking and moving to the slant blocking or power blocking technique. They have also signed 3 O-line man that are over 300 lbs. Denver's O-line has been undersized and a little more athletic than most in order to run the ZBS.

It seems clear to me that Coach McDaniels is cleaning house and changing schemes. Coach Nolan did a great job his first year changing to the 3-4. The offensive change was not as successful and with McDaniels being an offensive mind he has decided to just change over to the system he ran in New England (it may be a little to much to call it his system it's more Charle Wies's) completely he may or may not keep players who where productive under Shanahan. All of this drives me crazy as like I said resist change in my life and enjoy the comfort of what I know.

In the coming months with the free agent signing starting in March and the Draft in April I will try to keep my mind open to change. If and I still believe that's a big IF the D continues to improve and McD can improve the Offense especially in the Red Zone maybe I can grow comfortable and even optimistic about the Broncos future. At any rate change is here and I might as well welcome it as difficult as that may be. Success next year would sure make it easier to grow comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment